Community CurrencyThis website is maintained by the founder of Ithaca HOURS.
The official website of the Ithaca HOURS board of directors is at ithacahours.org Paul Glover consults for grassroots economic development as GreenPlanners.
|HOME||INTRO||CURRENCY||SUCCESSES||HOW-TO BOOK||PUBLICITY||ESSAYS BY GLOVER|
lottery is a tax on desperation. But when
Powerball hit $193 million, I made a list of how I'd spend them. Then I
compared my list with how most winners spend-- for megamansions,
pools, week-long beer blasts, investments in destructive
multinationals. So I bought one ticket, because I'd invest in
Philadelphia to seed the following enterprises, to create thousands of
MARKETS to store and sell the above below commercial rates.
* PROUD OF ORGANIC PHILADELPHIA (POOP) replaces toxic sewage sludge w/clean, sweet smelling fertilizer via aerated waterless toilets. No more pooping into clean water. $10 million.
* BIKEPATHS allow us to move safely without traffic jams & pollution. They permit emergency vehicles to move freely. $5 million.
* PHILADELPHIA REGIONAL & INDEPENDENT STOCK EXCHANGE (PRAISE) to connect regional skills & tools to create flexible manufacturing networks that capture contracts. $2 million.
* PHILADELPHIA FUND FOR ECOLOGICAL LIVING (PhilaFEL) makes tax-deductible donations to install green tools in our lowest-income neighborhoods. $10 million.
* PHILADELPHIA HOURS LOCAL CURRENCY could donate community currency at-cost to local government & nonprofits, enabling millions of dollars of services to be provided without raising taxes & without paying interest on bonds. HOURS would be welcome everywhere when government agrees to accept them for tax payment. $2 million.
*DREAM-COME-TRUE GREEN JOB CENTERS to connect residents to the regional resources that make our wildest hopes real. $2 million.
* MOSAIC SIDEWALKS would spread wonder & color underfoot (local plants, animals, fantasies) employing dozens of local artists. $2 million.
* MUSICIANS EVERYWHERE would provide acoustic accompaniment in hospitals, parks, aboard trollies, at bus stops. $3 million.
* JUGGLERS, CLOWNS, PUPPETEERS? how could I leave them out? $2 million.
* NEIGHBORHOOD ENTERPRISE SCHOOLTEACHERS (NESTS) to reward and credential neighbor adults for teaching neighbor children. $5 million.
* Together, these will allow us to relax in a beautiful, exciting community, raising the standard of living while lowering the cost of living & setting examples for the nation.
* How would you spend lottery winnings? If you win, call me-- let's have some real fun.
Next edition: accomplishing this list without the lottery. [email protected]