& UNEDITED STUDENT EVALUATIONS
These are all of the student responses to teaching of Metropolitan
Ecology, and Green Jobs, 2007-2010.
of TEMPLE UNIVERSITY COURSES BY PAUL GLOVER
I'm available for speaking and teaching engagements. Original documents
available upon request.
"WHAT ASPECT OF THE
COURSE OR THE INSTRUCTOR'S APPROACH
CONTRIBUTED MOST TO YOUR LEARNING?"
* He's a wonderful
teacher. The best I've had at
Temple. I actually was excited about this class and I talked about it
with everyone I knew. And I will continue to talk about it.
* The best professor I've ever had. His creativity, passion, kindness.
He has changed my life.
* Paul Glover's approach to teaching engaged me more than any other
I've ever had.
* Paul Glover is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. His
passion to share knowledge is awesome. He is truly inspiring and
because of that I was always excited to learn in his class.
* I really enjoyed Paul's diverse opinions and playful way of
presenting ideas. His opinions and thoughts are a breath of fresh air!
* He was so personable and excited to teach-- got me excited to learn.
He used both visual and audio aids. Promoted group work. Friendly! Got
to know his students!
* He was open to everyone, he had so much patience with everyone. I
would love to be able to teach like Prof Glover.
* He was genuinely interested in the urgency of the problems presented
in this course and our significance in solving these problems.
* One of my favorite teachers, I would like to see him teach more at
* Paul is phenomenal-- please keep teaching! The world needs you!
* This was the best course I have ever taken in my life!
* This has not only been the most useful class that I have ever taken,
but the most enjoyable and fun one as well.
* AWESOME COURSE. Probably the best I've ever taken at Temple.
* Everyone should take this class. This should be part of the core
* This was a great course. I very much enjoy open discussion in
classrooms. He gets students to go out and find information rather than
memorize a textbook's information.
* A great class. If I had taken it earlier I might have been a GUS
* It is one of the few courses that will affect my whole life. It was
very interactive, hands-on, Paul Glover was very approachable and
emotionally invested in this course. We learned about real life things.
* I've been here 7 semesters now-- this is one of my top 3 classes!
* Excellent structure and progression of course. Professor created a
classroom environment in which students were free to discuss and
express their ideas. Professor provided outside learning opportunities
to students. Professor brought a multitude of great ideas and
experience to the classroom.
* His innovative thinking.
* He was very interactive with us as students. Events, topics of
discussion were always current and positive; easy to apply to real life!
* The instructor made everyone feel comfortable and get involved.
* Paul was always very positive and open to all students' ideas and
* The experience that Paul Glover has in environmental agencies
provided direct insight into planning better cities. His success in his
groups inspired us that there is hope and solutions for our cities'
* I thought his intimate background with this subject proved to be very
helpful and of profound importance when trying to convey its
fundamental significance to others.
* The facts. Great interactions. Interesting topics.
* The instructor's enthusiasm for the information
* His enthusiasm for the subject
* fun approach
* The class involvement in most parts of class... Also the group work
* Discussion based assignments were effective because it allowed us to
see what our peers were thinking or felt about the topic.
* The examples and passion that Paul has for this field.
* His openness to different ideas and the group learning that he
utilized. I liked the fact that it wasn't a lecture class. The final
projects were Awesome and diverse!
* His passion and knowledge for the material.
* The assigned readings were interesting
* The relevance of and the timeliness of the information
* The instructor's resume.
* Fast feedback
* The sustainable communities
* The allowance of creativity that could be used throughout
* Class discussion
* Very Very driven and into his work
* Paul Glover's real world experience meant the most.
* Opportunities to present ideas and expound on them. It wasn't just
theory, we could actually accomplish and reach our objectives.
* The instructor was an active environmentalist himself, he had good
ideas. I learned a great deal of things.
* The fact that Paul lives what he teaches makes a real difference.
* The fact that he's been doing it his whole life and actually made
contributions for the cause. He used just enough
internet/slideshow/lecture. We debated and had good class discussions
* he was very excited and enthusiastic about the subject
* he used technology well
* he encouraged all students to participate
* We had time to discuss topics as a class openly. Mr. Glover gave
great life experiences as examples to help tie in everything.
* The teacher is extremely knowledgeable about the course and he was
able to effectively convey the ideas necessary to appreciate this class.
* He had great knowledge and first hand experience in all the issues
covered in class.
* He made an atmosphere inviting to ask questions. He was very easy to
relate to, didn't force opinions on you. Class wasn't overly
structured-- it was awesome to write opinion papers and do basically
anything for our final projects
* His ability to make the atmosphere comfortable so you could express
your own opinions.
* Appreciate how he let the floor open for discussion-- encouraging a
wide range of discussion topics. Valued the fact that students and
their personal interests can teach others.
* A lot of the group discussions we had were helpful. I believe he
taught the course very well and should teach more classes.
* Freedom to speak. Easy atmosphere, opinion based.
* Mostly kept the floor open for discussion
* We had great discussions and it definitely opened up my mind.
* I loved how the instructor always stayed personal & laid
wore himself on his sleeves, and never felt scared to take chances. I
learned a lot from his style of life & experiences, and hope to
into him in the future.
* He was so intelligent about life. Great person to learn w/. Great guy!
* Paul did an excellent job of facilitating an educational setting in
which the class was engaged and interested and participated willingly
and with enthusiasm. Paul's relaxed attitude was motivating because it
allowed for us not to feel pressure from an academic dictatorship.
Instead we all felt like we had room to allow for our own ideas to
surface as Paul facilitated us toward all he had to offer. The Future
Fest was truly inspiring-- but even more was hearing his stories and
all he had done in life (i.e. Ithaca Hours, Philly Orchard etc)
* Given websites helped a lot to get idea, knowledge, thoughts etc
about this course.
* Paul is amazing. I learned more in this class than I have in all my
Temple classes combined. He's doing it and doing it well!
* The instructor is very good at pulling out student's interests on the
unfamiliar course topic. He taught this course well. Those instruction
methods were unique and effective.
* Good ideas
* The whole thing was amazing, best class I've had in college.
* Dialog together, small groups, positive attitudes everywhere,
encouragement, fun, creativity used, inspiring stories, much more
* His enthusiasm and understanding.
* Different thinking/concepts
* Group discussions
* open atmosphere, listened to students, encouraged new ideas, funny,
* Paul was very approachable and understanding. His knowledge of this
topic made the subject come to life.
* He is open minded and contributed information that was relevant to all
* His need to educate people to open their minds.
* The instructor allowed the class to be one big community.
* The fact that the instructor taught a great class and was extremely
* He knew a lot and helped everyone
* He was very knowledgeable in all he talked about and made me feel
good about myself and the world.
* His knowledge of the green economy was very useful.
* He was very laid back
* The way he explain his own ideas
* the instructor really knew what he was talking about and &
* The class discussions were very enriching and educational. I was able
to get many perspectives other than mine.
* He was very involved and tried to get the entire class involved too.
* Paul is very approachable, outgoing, and interesting. As a green
activist in action, he is more than qualified to talk about the Green
Job Economy and all things related. His message of thinking outside the
box and creating opportunities for one self is something that will
stick with me.
* I appreciated that he valued and made use of the class' knowledge as
a source of information.
* His vast knowledge of social issue and world history as it pertains
to societal issues.
* Paul's enthusiasm is contagious and his knowledge profound. He
communicated the major themes of this class in a clear, lucid manner.
It speaks well of Temple that Paul is on the adjunct faculty here.
Thanks to Paul I have a clear vision of my future and have even begun
(thanks to the mini-internship) to pursue my future (dream) vocation as
* The instructor gave clear examples on the topic. The assignment he
gave to the class was very helpful on getting understandings of the
class objective (topic) which I wasn't familiar with before.
* I think Professor Glover's experience in community organization and
creating programs which are considered by some to be controversial was
a key contributing factor to the effectiveness of his message and
encouragement. The green economy is viable and our dreams are
attainable with the creativity and motivation
* History, knowledge, well rounded person
* The weekly website search really helped me to know more about
Green Jobs. I really learned a lot from this course. At first I did not
know what is a green job. I became to like Philadelphia more and more,
and I felt the possibilities about this city. Thank you very much. You
gave me many ideas about my future.
* His use of issues outside the classroom. His immediate experience in
* Paul promoted an atmosphere where everyone felt comfortable
expressing their opinions. He was very knowledgeable and asked
questions that prompted us to think outside the box. This class was
very useful and related to real life situations and the future.
* The internship assignment was one of the best ideas for a class like
* He is obviously very experienced in the field of green jobs. His
ideas and ways of approaching general life issues definitely made me
consider a green job and lifestyle as a viable one.
* His history facts at the beginning of class. The short films we
watched. The class discussions.
* He had tons of stories and they were interesting to listen to. He was
* Very interactive, examples of what he's done and how it's worked
* The instructor was clearly interested in this course topic, which is
always useful. He truly cares about educating us because he wants us to
make a difference in the world.
* I found the articles and newspapers, internet sources etc very
helpful for finding out even more information about the class and also
having the Students for Responsible Business come in and speak/recruit
students, as well as making us aware of local organizations.
* Researching green jobs
* Instructor is very knowledgable/experienced, very
interesting/informative, instructor cared deeply about the material
* lots of knowledge & experience, very passionate, great teacher
* He always gave great feedback to assignments that were emailed in. He
encouraged feedback and hands on learning. He encouraged us to better
ourselves & our world. Great class, great guy.
* I enjoyed the material taught and through his teachings and the
literature, I earned a great deal about the topic.
* He seemed incredibly knowledgeable. He is amazing. Most interesting
person Ihave met in a while. Fantastic teacher. Incredibly interesting.
* Hands-on experience, gave good insight, highly qualified, made us
think about our future outside of college
* The online learning and essays were a nice change from the norm.
* Being ecologically friendly.
* Participating and open discussion environment.
* He was very open minded while remaining well learned in his subject.
Great professor all around. I learned more in Mr. Glover's class than
any other class I am currently enrolled in. He promoted all ideas and
backgrounds. He was the best about all students' well beings.
* He was very hands on, I found it very easy to learn.
* A lot of group discussions in class, videos, board drawings.
* His extensive knowledge of the subject matter. Make a full length
* His great sense of humor as well as the way he taught the material.
* His own personal work he shared with the class. He was a big advocate
for going green. He's a great professor temple's lucky to have him!!
* He was accepting to all in the class. I have a learning disability
and he was very understanding to my needs/learning difference.
* The course ideas of optimism. Everybody is the same in his eyes.
Doesn't talk down to no one.
* I actually learned something in this course! It made me a little more
excited & optimistic about the future of civilization &
environment. Mr. Glover is extremely enthusiastic about educating
people in topics related to this course. It shows and creates a very
positive environment for learning. Make the course a full 15 weeks.
There is too much material to cover in only 8 weeks.
* Open discussion, good presentations. We had a lot of class
discussions that aided my learning. I learned so much-- this should be
a semester long class. More people should take it.
* Instructor kept the class entertained and was extremely interesting.
* The instructor explained and educated us very clearly and
* Open discussion and comfortable environment.
* The interesting subject matter.
* His enthusiasm & knowledge for the material, he explained
* He was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the subject.
* Excitement Mr. Glover brought to the classroom.
* Very open about everything, allowed creativity.
* He has an incredible talented way of thinking & funny!
"PLEASE COMMENT ON THE INSTRUCTOR'S SENSITIVITY TO THE
EXAMPLE, POLITICAL VIEWPOINT, RACE, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, GENDER,
SEXUAL IDENTITY AND DISABILITY) OF THE STUDENTS IN THE CLASS."
* Extremely sensitive
* He respected and listened to everyone's opinion.
* He was willing to share his own views while always open and
encouraging to competing arguments
* Very sensitive, made it a point always that if something were his
opinion, we were free to agree or disagree!! (concerning politics)
Everything else was not an issue.
* He listened to everyone's opinions and lets everyone get their point
across and has very effective conversations.
* Sensitive to everyone
* He was very diverse. He has lived in many different places and he has
shared his real life experience to make me a better person and more
* No issues here
* Perfectly appropriate
* Treated everyone fairly
* Great guy.
* He was great!
* Paul Glover is the man.
* Paul Glover rocks
* Very culturally aware, Allows room for ideas from all over.
* Everyone was treated fairly & respected.
* Very good.
* It was never an issue.
* wonderful wonderful wonderful
* Perfect :)
* He was always sensitive.
* Truly great guy!
* There was no indication of any discrimination or prejudice.
* Excellent. It was one of the major themes discussed throughout the
* Never stepped on anyone's toes about race class nor religion. Great
guy. Well educated and respectable.
* He was very fair!
* Very open to making the world a better place.
* Hippie-- friendly towards all
* He was not biased
* Sensitive to everyone whatever race, gender, etc.